Strike that. Reverse it. On we go!

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

OC can you sing?

In my last post I said some stuff about the Hotel Congress. Associated with it is the Club Congress, where famous bands play, like The Mountain Goats and Louis XIV and Vic Chesnutt (but he cancelled). On Sundays they have karaoke. I made my (male) friend sing "I Don't Know How to Love Him" from Jesus Christ Superstar because he said to pick out a song for him even though he's a terrible singer and it was the only song from that musical which is one of his favorite movies ever. He was mad because it's a girl song, but he sang it anyway because he's a good sport. There's a guy who does weird body motions and sings everything really angrily and it's funny. There's a guy who does a great drunk Jim Morrison and a girl who sings Evanescence songs in Russian. The girl who sings "White Rabbit" says it's the best karaoke in Tucson.

Some blogger I know (28-toed Hen?) said something on her blog about wanting to find good karaoke in the OC and I just remembered McClure's in Tustin where we went for Ariane's birthday when I was a first year. On the way there, I was in a car with Hainesy and Liz and it was after workshop and I cried a little because I felt like I didn't belong in the program and then we got to the bar, which has red banquettes and a stage and a dancefloor and cheap drinks and old regulars some of whom will accurately guess your age, and the karaoke selection is absurdly extensive. I sang "These Boots are Made for Walking" with back-up dancers and "Is That All There Is?" the Peggy Lee song. So rad. Sumell got kicked out and mocked Chris Hood in the parking lot by saying "I'm Chris Hood. I'm so handsome and smart." So you should all go there when you come back from foreign lands.

Another fun karaoke thing is to rent a karaoke room which we did after Korean BBQ in Garden Grove, I think. I don't remember where or the name or anything though, but you could ask Sunyoung. It cost like $125 for a couple hours, but there were about 20 of us (including Arielle!) so it was pretty cheap. At the end we all sang Nirvana songs together at the top of our lungs and moshed and we all made it home safely even though we were drunk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home